Friday, September 25, 2009

Tigo Commits to Rwanda Launch By Year End

Millicom has committed to launch its Tigo branded mobile phone network in Rwanda by the end of this year. The company was granted a license by the regulator last November. The company paid US$60 million for the 15 year license.
Tigo Rwanda's Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Alex Kamara, told The New Times that the telecom company which rolled out an investment package of about US$100 million for its operations in Rwanda, is still committed to what was submitted during the negotiation for the licence last year.
"I can't tell you the exact time but what I can say is that we have been working extremely hard ever since we arrived. We are going to launch before the end of this year; that is our goal," Kamara said. "There is no deviation from the expectations that were set. Our strategies are focused on the service delivery and what we intend to bring.
Millicom holds 87.5% of the joint venture company in partnership with Marathon Corporation, an established local company with numerous business interests in Rwanda.
The country has two incumbent operators. According to figures from the Mobile World, at the end of Q1 2009, Rwandatel had an estimated 260,000 customers, compared to 1.3 million at the only other operator, MTN.

No comments: